Friday, 19 December 2014

Acanthamoeba Keratitis Blog 4 (19/12/2014)

  • 69 (huhuhuhu) days since first symptoms. 
  • 54 days until expected clearance date.

Apologies for not making a post in a while. I was busy.......... being not arsed. COLLEGE. ASSIGNMENTS. EXAMS. BIRTHDAY PARTIES. STANDARD PARTIES. I am justified. I've been doing things! What's that I hear you saying? "But Jamie, you have a horrible eye disease that would stop you from doing all those things!" AHA that brings me straight to the point: MY EYE IS FEELING FANTASTIC!!!

Now, it's not 100% just yet. But it's definitely getting A LOT better. The last few weeks have seen a vast improvement. There is now more white in my eye than red, so much so that it pretty much looks normal. It looks like what any person's eye would look like if they were tired. Needless to say, I am delighted that my eye has been showing such improvement (KNOCK ON WOOD). I'm optimistic (or should I say opticmistic HUHUHUHU), but cautiously optimistic. There is always the risk that it could flare up again. It would be just my luck that just as it's getting better, it would suddenly flare up again and make shite of my eye. So, if anything, I'll just try to enjoy it while (or if) it lasts. If this whole experience has taught me anything, it's to appreciate every moment. Cuz things can go to shite so easily.

HERE IS A COMPARISISISISON


















Top picture is from the 14th of October, just a few days after I'd been diagnosed. The bottom picture is just from a few moments ago. The eye-lid is still a bit droopy, but you can see that it is waaaaaaaaay less red.

I know I say this every post, but I am so incredibly lucky that it wasn't as bad as it could've been. I remember reading the horror stories when I was first diagnosed, and how much fear and anxiety that put into me. Stories about people having to get several cornea transplants. Or even having their eye removed altogether. Stories of people fighting this disease for years of their lives. The fact that I am two months in and am already seeing light at the end of the tunnel, is nothing short of a miracle. I am just so incredibly grateful for that. OK. ENUF OF DA MUSHY SHITE.

I'm still on Brolene 0.1% (which oddly enough has started stinging like a bitch since my eye has gotten a lot better) and PHMB 0.02% four times a day each. Steroid drops have also been added into the mix. These do nothing to fight the infection itself, it's just there to accelerate the healing of my eye.

Ok. Well that's it for the moment. Happy Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment